Skip to main content

Winter blues

Like many of you, I have had an interesting few weeks trying to deal with the snow, icy road conditions, long waits in traffic, and car problems. It was bad enough having my car stall on occasion and getting stuck in at least five snow mounds, but now my car has died.

It fizzled yesterday and so I got to spend one of my vacation days out in the -30 weather trying to fix it and then drive it in a state of sheer terror to the nearest Certigard. I woke up this morning to find out that there are numerous issues that have piled up due to my car being treated like a work horse over the last few months. The breaks are pretty much non-existant and my battery too dead to even bother recharging.

The mechanic paused a little when I asked for an estimate of the things they would have to do for my car to be safe to drive. He said with as perky a voice as he could dredge up, "Uh, that will be about $995 ma'am." My mouth opened up slightly and the room spun a little before I could fully register this number. "Wha, um er" was my brilliant response. Well I guess what has to be done has to be done I thought to myself and told them to go ahead and do what they had to do. Ugh just what I needed right before Christmas.

Oh and on the subject of saving money, in theory a great idea in practice much more difficult. 

Comments

  1. "Wha, um er" pretty much sounds like the right response.

    Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a heck of a lot of money...

    Danaya

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2010

So once again it is that time of year when people reflect back on what they have accomplished in the last year and make plans and goals for the next. I have spent some time looking over the last year and have been very happy with positive changes I have made in my life and tough challenges I have faced. It wasn't an easy year by any means, but it brought many neccessary changes in my life. This year I want to continue that trend and work on one of my weaknesses. Tne biggest weakness I think I need to work on is my lack of consistency. You see I tend to be very good at starting things, often too many things at a time, but I lack the discipline to carry things through. I tell myself I'm going to write down all of my purchases and track my spending...yeah that plan lasts about two days before I toss it. I say I'm going to do my exercises every day...but really it ends up happening very randomly and not nearly as frequently as it should. So this year instead of making a huge li

Where has the time gone?

Alright so on the subject of random blogging, it has been a little while since I wrote anything on here. It's not because I have nothing to say or because nothing interesting has happened over the last few months, but because I am a self proclaimed random writer. I've never been good with deadlines or journaling or anything that takes follow through. I'm more of a in-the-minute, flying off the seat of my pants, motivated by inspirations and emotions kind of writer. So maybe I will give everyone a brief update on what has happened since July. 1) Enjoyed my trip to Pender Island (didn't see any whales on the whale watching excursion (boourns), but did see the biggest grossest jellyfish ever!) 2) Went camping with Danaya and her family along Kootenay Lake and survived a 16km hike up a mountain and back and hours of huckleberry picking (had a blast) 3) Cooked lots of Huckleberry goodies when I got home to share with family and friends (cobbler, pancakes, muffins, etc)

no pain no gain?

I've discovered that there is something worse than pain...self induced pain. Also that there is something worse than self induced pain - waiting to hear back from the bank to find out whether or not you are approved for a loan to pay for self induced pain. Okay, so it's not exactly pain alone - it's neccesity. According to my insurance company it's cosmetic, but I'm pretty sure a back molar will be more functional than aesthetically pleasing. My dentist recommended that I get an implant put in because it lasts 25-30 years and will not destroy other teeth in the process (like a bridge might). She sent my x-rays to a periodontal clinic and after a few days I was set up with them for an initial consultation. I went to the consultation nervous as I have never been a big fan of dentists and I wasn't really sure what to expect. They were very warm and so willing to answer every question. Of course for $250 I would expect at least that at an initial consultation. The