Skip to main content

Jonathan

I wanted to take a few minutes to write about someone who became very dear to me in a very short time. Jonathan and I had been exchanging regular e-mails asking each other everything about our lives and hopes and dreams. I tend to be a very private person (runs in my family), so I wouldn't normally share this much with someone I've only known for such a short time, but after reading his first few e-mails I found myself surprisingly comfortable with this partial stranger.

Over the months of getting to know each other I learned about his past, his hopes for his future, and even the sweet little details like what he wants to name his first child. We talked theology, philosophy, literature, movies, and anything else that popped up. Eventually we made plans to get together and went out for tea at a local tea house. Despite live music that, though well performed, made conversation difficult, we talked and enjoyed our time together. We continued to date unofficially until he asked if I would be interested in making it official. We had planned to discuss it while shopping for furniture and decorations for his new apartment. That day he left me a message saying he was too sick to get out of bed. I was a bit concerned when he didn't respond to the e-mails I had sent him over that weekend. By the next week I received a message from his parents saying he was very unwell and that they had taken him home to be cared for. The next day I received text messages from his family saying that he was in the ICU with viral pneumonia.

I went to the Hospital to see him the next day and met his family. I was very concerned seeing him literally covered in tubes and looking very pale. I stood beside him holding his hand hoping that despite being unconscious that he might be comforted by my presence. To my relief he survived the weekend and then the next day and the next. Exactly one week after I heard that he had been rushed to the Hospital, I receive an e-mail from his family saying that he had passed away that morning. I was pretty upset and rattled since I was so sure that he would pull through. That was about a week and a half ago. I've felt sad that he wont be doing the things he dreamed of doing before he died, that I wont ever open up another sweet e-mail from him (he was a really good writer), and that he left behind so many people who cared deeply for him. It doesn't seem fair, but at least I have the many letters we wrote one another to remember him by.

I miss you Jonathan 

Jonathan had recently begun a lucrative photography career, to see some of his beautiful photos in his general portfolio please click on the link below:

http://jonharris.zenfolio.com/portfolio/slideshow

Jonathan's view of theology
"I love your mixed-bag approach to Christianity. To be perfectly honest, I believe that really is the kind of faith we are called to have. To be blindly devoted to one denomination's delineation of the world can be remarkably damaging unless that devotion is born from it's alignment with one's own in-depth personal studying and growth. I fully believe that God calls us to be readers and thinkers, avoiding spiritual and theological stagnation wherever possible." Jonathan, in one of his e-mails.

Jonathan's favorite author/quote
"A young man who wishes to remain a sound Atheist cannot be too careful of his reading. There are traps everywhere - 'Bibles laid open, millions of surprises,' as Herbert says, 'fine nets and stratagems.' God is, if I may say it, very unscrupulous."
C.S. Lewis

Rest in Peace Dear Jonathan (1984-2009)

“I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge -- myth is more potent than history -- dreams are more powerful than facts -- hope always triumphs over experience -- laughter is the cure for grief -- love is stronger than death.” Anonymous

Comments

  1. "Very ouch" sounds right. I am sorrowed for your loss, and I wish you comfort. May you grieve well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i imagine this still feels surreal. i'm so sorry, amanda. please don't let yourself be alone in your grief - if you need company, reach out. have you talked to trevor?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2010

So once again it is that time of year when people reflect back on what they have accomplished in the last year and make plans and goals for the next. I have spent some time looking over the last year and have been very happy with positive changes I have made in my life and tough challenges I have faced. It wasn't an easy year by any means, but it brought many neccessary changes in my life. This year I want to continue that trend and work on one of my weaknesses. Tne biggest weakness I think I need to work on is my lack of consistency. You see I tend to be very good at starting things, often too many things at a time, but I lack the discipline to carry things through. I tell myself I'm going to write down all of my purchases and track my spending...yeah that plan lasts about two days before I toss it. I say I'm going to do my exercises every day...but really it ends up happening very randomly and not nearly as frequently as it should. So this year instead of making a huge li

Where has the time gone?

Alright so on the subject of random blogging, it has been a little while since I wrote anything on here. It's not because I have nothing to say or because nothing interesting has happened over the last few months, but because I am a self proclaimed random writer. I've never been good with deadlines or journaling or anything that takes follow through. I'm more of a in-the-minute, flying off the seat of my pants, motivated by inspirations and emotions kind of writer. So maybe I will give everyone a brief update on what has happened since July. 1) Enjoyed my trip to Pender Island (didn't see any whales on the whale watching excursion (boourns), but did see the biggest grossest jellyfish ever!) 2) Went camping with Danaya and her family along Kootenay Lake and survived a 16km hike up a mountain and back and hours of huckleberry picking (had a blast) 3) Cooked lots of Huckleberry goodies when I got home to share with family and friends (cobbler, pancakes, muffins, etc)

no pain no gain?

I've discovered that there is something worse than pain...self induced pain. Also that there is something worse than self induced pain - waiting to hear back from the bank to find out whether or not you are approved for a loan to pay for self induced pain. Okay, so it's not exactly pain alone - it's neccesity. According to my insurance company it's cosmetic, but I'm pretty sure a back molar will be more functional than aesthetically pleasing. My dentist recommended that I get an implant put in because it lasts 25-30 years and will not destroy other teeth in the process (like a bridge might). She sent my x-rays to a periodontal clinic and after a few days I was set up with them for an initial consultation. I went to the consultation nervous as I have never been a big fan of dentists and I wasn't really sure what to expect. They were very warm and so willing to answer every question. Of course for $250 I would expect at least that at an initial consultation. The