Skip to main content

Canadian eh

http://www.cbc.ca/books/books100quiz.html

CBC came out with a list, 100 novels that make you proud to be Canadian! The page allows one to go through the list and check off the novels they've read (I've attached the link above). To my disgrace I had only read 2 of the 100 novels listed in full. There were 2 others I started reading last year but have yet to finish. Suddenly not feeling like a very good Canadian. I've been too intoxicated by American and British authors. Time for a change. A new goal that may even potentially tear me away from exorbitant Netflix usage! I'm going to try and go through at least 10 novels from this list for this year. I have lots of other series I'm working through so I don't want to make an unrealistic goal but I do want to encourage reading over TV viewing.

So far I've read:
1. Fifth Business by Robertson Davies
2. The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill

I started:
3. The Outlander by Gill Adamson
4. Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I borrowed from the lovely Michelle:
5. Fugitive Pieces by Anne Michaels
6. 419 by Will Ferguson
7. The Birth House by Ami McKay
8. The Stone Diaries by Carol Shields

That should be a good start. We'll see how things go over the next little while!

Comments

  1. Amanda thanks for this link! I was appalled that I had only read one or two books on the list! I was also appalled that Anne of Green Gables was not listed! I own a few of the books like Fifth Business and Sunshine Sketches of a Small Town. I plan to read those eventually but maybe this list will move them up for me. I am looking forward to read alternate books for authors I already enjoy, like Carol Shields. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2010

So once again it is that time of year when people reflect back on what they have accomplished in the last year and make plans and goals for the next. I have spent some time looking over the last year and have been very happy with positive changes I have made in my life and tough challenges I have faced. It wasn't an easy year by any means, but it brought many neccessary changes in my life. This year I want to continue that trend and work on one of my weaknesses. Tne biggest weakness I think I need to work on is my lack of consistency. You see I tend to be very good at starting things, often too many things at a time, but I lack the discipline to carry things through. I tell myself I'm going to write down all of my purchases and track my spending...yeah that plan lasts about two days before I toss it. I say I'm going to do my exercises every day...but really it ends up happening very randomly and not nearly as frequently as it should. So this year instead of making a huge li

Where has the time gone?

Alright so on the subject of random blogging, it has been a little while since I wrote anything on here. It's not because I have nothing to say or because nothing interesting has happened over the last few months, but because I am a self proclaimed random writer. I've never been good with deadlines or journaling or anything that takes follow through. I'm more of a in-the-minute, flying off the seat of my pants, motivated by inspirations and emotions kind of writer. So maybe I will give everyone a brief update on what has happened since July. 1) Enjoyed my trip to Pender Island (didn't see any whales on the whale watching excursion (boourns), but did see the biggest grossest jellyfish ever!) 2) Went camping with Danaya and her family along Kootenay Lake and survived a 16km hike up a mountain and back and hours of huckleberry picking (had a blast) 3) Cooked lots of Huckleberry goodies when I got home to share with family and friends (cobbler, pancakes, muffins, etc)

Uh Oh Canada?

I was sitting at home last night watching a show I don't watch very often called "King of the Hill." They were playing one of the very last episodes in their long TV run and I had never seen it before. The episode was entitled "Uh-Oh Canada." I often enjoy watching the almost offensively silly view that Americans have of Canadian's as little ninnies, wearing preppy vests, speaking in a Minnisotan accent, and ending every second sentence with a pronounced "Eh". In this episode Hank Hill and his family and friends find their summer festivities being threatened by their new uppity Canadian neighbours. One of the group has decided to go away for the summer and thought it would be fun to switch homes for three months with a family from Toronto. Hank in his usual bid to be the best neighbour possible is left trying to convince his friends that the Canadians will be just like anyone else. To his surprise this family is rude and arrogant and only interes