Skip to main content

heavy thoughts

I spent this weekend with my neice's situation heavy on my mind. No she's not pregnant or anything like that (phew), but she's so unhappy. She has had such a tough life and now she finds herself living with her Mom (who has some mental health issues), fighting with her Dad (who told her a few days ago that she is dead to him), bored because she doesn't get much parental supervision or scheduled activities, and depressed about her lot in life. She is such a smart and pretty 14 year old and deserves so much more. I'm nervous that she may eventually decide to run away. I sent her a message today asking her to consider me as an alternative if she is unhappy. It's a scary thought to even consider caring for a teenager, but part of me kind of hopes she does. I want so much more for her than she has.

Comments

  1. that was realy kind of you. I hope things work out for your niece.

    ~ Danaya

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Excursions in beautiful Riviera Nayarit!

Well it's been just over a week now since I got back from my vacation. When I look back it's clear that outside of the normal bumps of any vacation, it was a very pleasant one! My parents and I flew into Puerto Vallarta at around 4pm on Friday July 1. As we stumbled into the crowded airport and attempted to manuever our way through the throngs of sales people, the kissy faces of a number of Mexican men made me suddenly all too conscious of my "Kiss me I'm Canadian" shirt. Oh well, like anyone would dare try with my Mom nearby (she gives off very protective Mom vibes...I think it may be because she's very protective). Anyway after a run in with a sales man who had briefly convinced us he was our Sun Wing Rep, we managed to slump into a nice air conditioned bus that took us the 20 minutes or so to Riviera Nayarit and up to our Resort "Riu Jalisco". It took me a good part of the trip to realize that the "j" is Jalisco is pronounced "h...

Gingerbread Cupcakes!

Well here they are, my rendition of a cupcake featuring ginger - in this case gingerbread cupcakes! I thought they turned out pretty good. I added 1/2 a cup more milk than I was supposed to and yet they managed to turn out fairly good texture wise. The flavour is a lot like gingerbread (with a few extra helpings of ginger) and the icing is a cream cheese icing.

past perfect

One thing continually bothers me as I read Diana Gabaldon's richly detailed story of Claire Beauchampe, a doctor who innocently walks into a stone formation in Scotland and winds up in 16th century Scotland. Much has happened since this beginning...Claire has married Jamie Fraser the young and impressive Scottish Laird (against her wishes), fallen madly in love with him regardless of a precarious beginning to their relationship, followed him around as they attempt to evade the English, fought with him at the battle of Culloden, been forced back through the stones to safety with their unborn child, raised their child with her ambiguous husband from the future, returned after her child had grown up so that she could find him, made a new life with him in an American Colony, and been surprised by the appearance of her daughter and new son in law in 16th century America. Through their many, often rediculous, adventures there is that one thing that my brain ...