Skip to main content

One chapter closes

It can be hard for me to show my emotions sometimes..it's tough when you have the peace loving, lets not rock the boat, or upset people sanguine personality from your Dad constantly fighting with the dramatic, artistic, who cares what people think melancholy personality of your Mom. Basically this means that I have lots of emotions lots of the time and the desire not to frighten others with them.

This week has not been a good week for my sanguine side. Emotions have poured past my carefully constructed barriers and flooded all the poor saps within my reach (sorry sweet roomy). Not all of them bad...not by any means. Actually I've been rather bipolar but not in the months of up and months of down kind of way...more like the running around the house laughing and dancing like a crazy person then lying down on the couch and sobbing irrationally. Is it weird that quitting your job can provoke such a dramatic response? Maybe. All I know is that I have never been happier or sadder to leave any job...ever!

I was being artistically and intellectually deprived by my work environment. I was being denied a sense of social expression and fun that any job needs to be bearable. Work will always be work but I've never been in a job where it was so frowned upon to laugh and socialize and where even breaks weren't really seen as a neccesity. I've had some bad supervisors before but none like my latest who seemed to take a sense of quiet joy in crushing my already fragile spirit.

That being said I will miss this job because of the parts of it that I grasped onto to keep a sense of purpose and dignity. I will miss the things I did well like taking care of the Physicians offices and hearing their relief and happiness that someone cared about their needs. I will miss the people with whom I had developed work relationships that brought smiles to my face - Laura in Shipping and Receiving, Stephanie in OH&W, Deb Hooper in Purchasing, and Sherry in TM Quality. And I'll miss having a good friend like Danaya to work alongside and go out for daily lunch walks with! 

As the days progress the ups and downs are starting to melt away and leaving me with a kind of stillness - a sense of peaceful acceptance and relief. I still feel like crying sometimes and I still wake up giggling that I don't have to get out of bed and go to a job that was making me more anaemic than the actual condition could ever have done. This week is all about recovery and since it's obvious that this is a necessary stage for me I am allowing it. Next week I will be getting down to bussiness and making some practical choices.

The best part of all is that I finally have something I haven't had for awhile. Hope.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

past perfect

One thing continually bothers me as I read Diana Gabaldon's richly detailed story of Claire Beauchampe, a doctor who innocently walks into a stone formation in Scotland and winds up in 16th century Scotland. Much has happened since this beginning...Claire has married Jamie Fraser the young and impressive Scottish Laird (against her wishes), fallen madly in love with him regardless of a precarious beginning to their relationship, followed him around as they attempt to evade the English, fought with him at the battle of Culloden, been forced back through the stones to safety with their unborn child, raised their child with her ambiguous husband from the future, returned after her child had grown up so that she could find him, made a new life with him in an American Colony, and been surprised by the appearance of her daughter and new son in law in 16th century America. Through their many, often rediculous, adventures there is that one thing that my brain ...

Excursions in beautiful Riviera Nayarit!

Well it's been just over a week now since I got back from my vacation. When I look back it's clear that outside of the normal bumps of any vacation, it was a very pleasant one! My parents and I flew into Puerto Vallarta at around 4pm on Friday July 1. As we stumbled into the crowded airport and attempted to manuever our way through the throngs of sales people, the kissy faces of a number of Mexican men made me suddenly all too conscious of my "Kiss me I'm Canadian" shirt. Oh well, like anyone would dare try with my Mom nearby (she gives off very protective Mom vibes...I think it may be because she's very protective). Anyway after a run in with a sales man who had briefly convinced us he was our Sun Wing Rep, we managed to slump into a nice air conditioned bus that took us the 20 minutes or so to Riviera Nayarit and up to our Resort "Riu Jalisco". It took me a good part of the trip to realize that the "j" is Jalisco is pronounced "h...

Gingerbread Cupcakes!

Well here they are, my rendition of a cupcake featuring ginger - in this case gingerbread cupcakes! I thought they turned out pretty good. I added 1/2 a cup more milk than I was supposed to and yet they managed to turn out fairly good texture wise. The flavour is a lot like gingerbread (with a few extra helpings of ginger) and the icing is a cream cheese icing.