Skip to main content

The Hunt for Red Willie

As a child I spent a lot of time dreaming about the kind of things I would do as an adult. My mind was constantly changing based on my personal interests at the time - vet, criminal profiler, engineer (designing rides for Disney), archaeologist, writer, etc. But one thing I consistently wanted to do throughout my childhood and into High School was act. I always loved the theater and movies and wanted to be a part of the stories. I loved how they created a place where people could face difficult questions, laugh at the absurdity of life, cry with the heros or heroines in their personal struggles, and feel all of the range of emotions in a short period of time. Like a good book it was both an escape and a way to face reality.

In High School I joined the theater class and was excited to learn more about the art of acting. I also had a friend who's father helped aspiring actors get auditions who said she would ask him to help me out. Things seemed hopeful as they often do in the flush of youth. My dreams were quickly dashed though when it turned out that a group of divas in the acting class didn't like me and were going to do everything in their power to dishearten and discourage me. It was difficult but at least I had an audition downtown soon. My Dad dropped me off and told me to meet him at Arbys. I walked in the room, filled out a form and was surprised to see that the play was 18+ and included nudity. I left the audition humiliated that my friends Dad would send me to an adult audition when I was only 14. I walked in the direction my Dad had told me to go and searched for the Arbys I was to meet him at. I walked and walked and walked. I found a pay phone and called him and he told me to go back the way I came and turn a different way up the street. I walked until my feet were bleeding (my shoes were pretty new) and I was crying but I did eventually find him. This time of misadventures coupled with the normal struggles of High School turned me off acting for awhile. I still loved to see shows but I didn't think I was cut out for them - I am kind of shy after all and a little awkward.
I put that desire behind me and moved on with life.

It wasn't until I made the first step back into the world of performance (trying out for choir in College) that I began to realize how much I missed it. Shyness was still an issue but at least I could perform and maintain a degree of anonymity in a choir! After a few years of this I grew dissatisfied and started getting vocal training so that I could work on becoming a better performer. I stepped out in public with it for the first time at my sister's wedding singing one of her favorite songs at the time "Only Hope" by Mandy Moore. I survived and the reaction was good - people were surprised I could sing and thought I should continue! With that positive reinforcement I continued to sing and have been in vocal coaching until just recently. My coach Sheila worked her butt off to help draw me out of my protective shell. She got me to sing in public venues and trust my voice. Sure I still have some performance anxiety when it comes to singing but now I can do karaoke with my friends and family and not care whether I sound good or not. Singing is fun and you don't have to be a great singer to enjoy it! I was sad when I found out that Sheila could no longer be my vocal coach but during our last lesson together she told me that she really thinks I would do well in musical theater and wants me to get out there and audition. It really touched me that she believes in me. I already get all of the theater e-mails because my College vocal coach hooked me up in the hopes that I might eventually audition for something so I started paying more attention.

I couldn't imagine trying out for a play when I don't really have any theater experience but there was one play coming up through a small theater group called Liffey Players Theater. The play was an Irish farce and I figured since I'm at least part Irish and I love farces why not try out? I didn't tell many people about my audition just in case I chickened out but when the day came I went and even had a blast! I can't believe I can say this but I had so much fun doing a cold read with them. I left the audition full of nervous energy and could hardly sit still for hours. I waited somewhat impatiently to hear back from them and danced around my apartment when I got the e-mail message thanking me for my audition and letting me know that they had decided to award me a part! The script was attached to the e-mail so I printed it out and read through the play. I had to wait a few days to hear back about whether I got the role I tried out for or a different one but was relieved and excited to get an e-mail last night letting me know that I got the part I tried out for (Kathleen)!

Maybe it really is never too late to try the things you want to try! I'm very happy I got in but I mostly feel really good that I was willing to take the chance. Not very long ago I would not have taken a chance like this. A chance to be rejected again and humiliated again. Risks can actually be rewarded! It's a small show with a small theater group but it's a step in the right direction if I ever want to get involved in musical theater!

   

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you got the part, and I can't wait to see you in the play!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am continually proud of you for stepping out and getting involved in things that matter to you and following your passions. When is the show? I really really want to be there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2010

So once again it is that time of year when people reflect back on what they have accomplished in the last year and make plans and goals for the next. I have spent some time looking over the last year and have been very happy with positive changes I have made in my life and tough challenges I have faced. It wasn't an easy year by any means, but it brought many neccessary changes in my life. This year I want to continue that trend and work on one of my weaknesses. Tne biggest weakness I think I need to work on is my lack of consistency. You see I tend to be very good at starting things, often too many things at a time, but I lack the discipline to carry things through. I tell myself I'm going to write down all of my purchases and track my spending...yeah that plan lasts about two days before I toss it. I say I'm going to do my exercises every day...but really it ends up happening very randomly and not nearly as frequently as it should. So this year instead of making a huge li

Where has the time gone?

Alright so on the subject of random blogging, it has been a little while since I wrote anything on here. It's not because I have nothing to say or because nothing interesting has happened over the last few months, but because I am a self proclaimed random writer. I've never been good with deadlines or journaling or anything that takes follow through. I'm more of a in-the-minute, flying off the seat of my pants, motivated by inspirations and emotions kind of writer. So maybe I will give everyone a brief update on what has happened since July. 1) Enjoyed my trip to Pender Island (didn't see any whales on the whale watching excursion (boourns), but did see the biggest grossest jellyfish ever!) 2) Went camping with Danaya and her family along Kootenay Lake and survived a 16km hike up a mountain and back and hours of huckleberry picking (had a blast) 3) Cooked lots of Huckleberry goodies when I got home to share with family and friends (cobbler, pancakes, muffins, etc)

Adventures in career guidance

Well it's almost four months into 2010 and I still find myself unsure of what my next step in life is. I know its not exactly a race, but there are things in life that I want that seem very far away...like a home of my own, a family, and a career that I don't just tolerate everyday. I feel like my life is pretty full in other areas...a supportive family, good friends, a church I enjoy, and a range of hobbies I can enjoy or ignore as needed. There isn't much I can do about a home of my own right now except pay off debt and save money which I am currently doing, and I am not exactly in a rush for a family of my own either though it is something I want someday. So that leaves my career as my focus for now. I've decided to take a chance on career guidance in the hopes that it will help me make a decision on which career is a good fit for me. Once that decision is made I'm hoping the guidance counsellor will be able to help me make goals that would at least put me on